½ cup butter (or your spread of choice)
1 large egg*
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
¼ cup natural granulated sweetener (Swerve Granular or Natvia Baking Blend)**
2 cups almond flour***
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup sugar free chocolate chips (Lily’s Dark Chocolate Premium but you can use Enjoy Life chocolate chips for a dairy free option)
- Preheat oven to 176C | 350F. Heat the butter in a 9-inch cast iron skillet over high heat until bubbling. Reduce heat down to low; cover pan (optional but prevents butter spitting everywhere), and continue to cook while stirring occasionally until the butter begins to brown. (Be careful when lifting the lid off the pan as the butter may spit.) Once browned, remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- While butter is cooling, whisk together the egg and vanilla extract. Add the sugar and sweetener and whisk again until combined. Add the butter once it has cooled and mix well.
- Sift in the almond flour (press any lumps gently over the sieve to sift quicker); add the salt and half the chocolate chips; mix through gently until the batter is well combined and creamy. It will be a little thicker than cookie dough. Spoon batter into skillet; top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until set on the top when pressed lightly and a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cookie comes out clean.
- Serve with No Sugar ice cream or frozen yogurt and enjoy!
*Replace egg with 1 flax egg for Vegan substitute
**Natural sweetener can be subbed with more coconut sugar or normal white sugar if you like. Just remember to add the carb and sugar content to the nutritional stats if counting them.
***Almond flour can be substituted for 1½ cups light spelt flour, plain white or all purpose flour/s.
If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you can brown the butter in a normal pan and use a pie dish to bake the cookie.